Followers

Thursday 1 August 2013

Animal Magnetism!

Good Morning to you!
Didn't we have a well suited challenge last month!! As we all created our Seaside projects the country was bathed in glorious sunshine and scorching heat!!! What a shame it can't be like that now the school holidays are here. Typical!

The Projects for the challenge have been fantastic as ever and it is amazing to see how everyone can come up with such different ideas with stamps and even when they have had to improvise they have still kept to the theme!

So it is now a new month and therefore the start of a new challenge...and this month we are having the theme of .....ANIMALS.

There are some stunning projects over at Clarity Stamp Challenge Blog to bring you inspiration and all very different I hope you can take the time to pop over to look and hop to the different blogs of the DT to see their projects in more detail!

Here is the one I have done for this months challenge.

 
 
This started off as a plain papier mache box which I painted with gesso and then 2 coats of cream acrylic paint. I prefer cream to white as it gives a warmer look to the background but without distorting the colours used for the images. Then I left it to dry completely.
Whilst it was drying I got the next stage done which is to stamp the images onto mansize tissues. I chose the diamond horse. I like this image as it has a lovely tail. I used 8 different colours of versafine inks- smokey grey, onyx black, crimson red, satin red, toffee, vintage sepia, imperial purple and habenero. 


These were allowed to dry then cut out as close to the image as possible  this took a bit of doing but well worth doing carefully and properly. The tissue images need then to be separated to just the one ply. Only the top layer is required.
Once this had been done and the box was ready to decorate. To attach the tissue horses to the box I used Slap-it-on form Indigo blu. This acts as a glue and thenm as a glaze to the surface. You need a nice soft brush to apply a thin layer of slap it on then attach the image then gently brush over the surface with slap it on. I made sure that I mixed up the colours of the horses and covered the box and lid inside and out. You need to allow time to do this to dry in between parts and remember to wrap the images around corners and edges to give a seamless finish. You can see that you need to overlap the images and you get lovely depths of colours that way. Once completely covered it need to dry properly and then be coated all over again a couple of times with slap it on. This dries to a matt finish which again allows the colours to come through. I then used a water soluble matt varnish all over it to add another layer of protection.
 
 
I was going to leave it at that but to me it did not look finished. I then came up with the idea of having miniature horses dancing around the top so stamped the image onto shrink plastic in black stazon. These I attached to the lid with some strong clear gel glue. However I wasn't happy about how this now looked as you could see the glue. I needed something to hide it....BRAINWAVE....I need something that will look like grass so I got the flowersoft out and a bit cosmic shimmer glue and Voila!!!
 
 
I hope you have enjoyed looking at my project.
Please feel free to leave any comments and don't forget to pop over to the other Design Teams blogs
Then its over to you to have a go and remember there is a voucher for £50 to be won by someone to spend at the Claritystamp website.

Happy Crafting

Jane xx

14 comments:

  1. WOW Jane where do you get your inspiration, this is an amazing project and so well explained too, perfect for this challenge :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic decoration of this box Jane. Love the horse on the top - reminds me a a carousel.
    Beryl xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic Jane, love the horses on the top especially! Must have taken ages but so worth it x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Jane, what a fantastic project. It's amazing and love all the detail you have given for its construction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great colourful creation Jane! fab

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful box Jane and it was interesting to read how you made it. The Flower Soft finishes it off so well. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous Jane, love the little dancing horses on the top, very clever. Hugs.....Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW Jane no wonder you went quiet for a few days, the work you have put into this is immense. Its beautiful. Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab project Jane and great reading how you achieved it, it's so satisfying when you overcome any design issues along the way isn't it...I often incur them and you call upon your resources to find a solution! Great job....xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great horse box! Well worth all of the effort for the end result - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great project Jane...the Tissue technique is very addictive though...looking forward to seeing your next reject. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is amazing Jane! Love the tissue technique you have to be very careful as you can quite easily cover anything that stands still with tissue (well that's how it goes for me!).
    Your written explanation is really clear too.
    Smashing xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Jane all that work but what a stunning box. I love the tissue technique yet I rarely use it xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely work Jane a lot of care has gone into this and it show's xxx

    ReplyDelete